Monday, September 11, 2023

Tuesday4 Happy Tuesday Maxine Cracks Me Up

 

Sunday, September 10, 2023

Your Garden


Its Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 once again and I thought it might be nice to talk about our gardens or house plants.  After all, houseplants are indoor gardens and fish aquariums can be water gardens.

1. Do you have a garden indoors or outdoors?   Houseplants count I think.  If not, why don't you have them? We did have potatoes and tomatoes this year. Rebekah and Zach grew potatoes in containers. They did not grow as large as they did a few years ago but they were happy with the little bounty. My tomatoes did not do as well, could have been all the rain. But next year, God willing, I will try a few new tricks. I just pluck the cherry tomatoes off the vine since I don't use any herbicides, pesticides or sprays I also have lots of house plants. My sister-in-law Lucy recently gave Avery, her brother, a  cutting from her 30 year old philodendron. It took off  and looks lovely! 

2. Have you visited Longwood Gardens or any of the large gardens and horticultural sites around the world or your state? Tell us about it. We have visited the Denver Botanical Gardens.  When our oldest was a little girl, about 3 years old, I went there with a friend. some friend. she was! My little girl picked a Colorado Columbine. It is illegal to pick them! I was mortified, my friend laughed and laughed until I said if they saw that I will walk away and tell them she is your child! Then it suddenly wasn't so funny anymore. They are very beautiful and in Las Vegas, you can visit the gardens in the Bellagio Hotel. It is gorgeous too. All the detail and artful designs make a person feels so serene. It is always fun to find unusual plants and flowers too.  There is no cost to visit the gardens at the Bellagio. 

3.  Most people really enjoy a little garden but I think we sometimes make too many excuses not to do things we really would enjoy.  Too busy, not enough space, etc.   But if we put our minds to it, anything is possible  Do you believe that? Absolutely! We have a large yard and half of it is filled with weeds as we could not contain them this year with all the rain we had. But we also have a baby rototiller and a huge one so we have a nice area where we could plants at least 4 kinds of veggies and another area for a larger patch of potatoes. You can not plant potatoes in the same area every year they have to be moved. 

 4. Ideally, what flowers, shrubs and trees do you want in your little garden real or imagined? We have a lilac bush but it has not liked the rain everyday so it is struggling and we need to feed it more manure. The  smelly stuff is the best to help them flourish. We have a bridal bush which I always have loved as my grandmother had one in her front yard. we have a lone rosebush that is doing well but I would have more of all these things. I like tulips and daffodils in the Spring too. 

Happy Tuesday


A face that should make you smile!




This sloth looks like he is a good photographer!


Oh Maxine.......

11 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Sounds like you have some good vegetable garden plots and have taken advantage of that. I never have had much success with growing vegetables. I really do not have a green thumb and just can't keep up with gardening. I always appreciate other people's hard work, however, and the lovely "fruit of their labor", whether it be flowers or veggies. Love Maxine, and also the little sloth pictures. So funny. Have a lovely day!

Lynn and Precious said...

I have a patio garden with perennials the deer won't eat. I usually plant 2 potato eyes and get a couple pounds of taters in plastic cat litter bags.
The major botanical garden here is Kingwood Garden and I always go once a year if not twice. I ride my bike 18 miles to get there. Thank goodness I did
it before the bike wreck, lol.

Sandee said...

I love flowers and I love botanical gardens. Beautiful.

Awww on the cutie pies and Maxine always cracks me up. She tells it like it is.

Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. Love and hugs, Anne. ♥

Mari said...

I visited Longwood Garden in PA about 10 years ago. It is huge and so beautiful!
Maxine is so funny!

Annie said...

I would really like to see Longwood Gardens or the Bellagio!
I like tulips and daffodils also especially when there are dozens of them in a little plot. Thanks so much for joining in!!

Ramblingon said...

I have grown a bountiful crop of tomatoes in containers...up on the deck to keep the deer, possums and raccoons out. They decimated my former efforts on the ground. I also had a bumper crop of red and green peppers in containers. I tried potatoes last year, but I see I have no idea how to do it. I had no success at all.
Why, besides the veggie-eating animals do I not have a garden outside in the ground? The soil here where I am is rock hard clay and I don't have the strength to dig it. Never did. It's just me here so, it won't happen., Add the fact the animals will eat it. I also had a great time growing green beans too back when I was still married so I didn't have to do the digging.

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

Great picture. I love container gardening and sometimes I have more luck then my garden plot have. This Summer heat has been one for the record book so not much growing here.

Mevely317 said...

Tulips and Daffodils are my favorites! But do I garden? Nope, this old gal has two brown thumbs -- living things cringe at the sight of me. (lol)

In all seriousness, I thought about trying to grow tomatoes, but all the noctural visitors would like nothing more than visit for free food.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

We live in the woods, Anne, so having a real garden just isn't in the cards for us. We do have a few plants in pots outside; we didn't purchase any new ones last spring, but I do plan to next year. I really miss the cheerful blooms!
Blessings!

pilch92 said...

I miss growing potatoes. The darn voles always got to the biggest ones. XO

messymimi said...

I'm so glad for your having a green thumb. Mine is not, and houseplants commit suicide if they know I will own them.

Those sweet faces did make me smile.

Mine is more like a "wonder where they think they're going" bra.