Saturday, January 28, 2023

Thankful Thursday and A Tea Tyme Pink Saturday

 

Thankful Thursday 


Ok...I admit it, if I were a cat, this one would be me!

With all the snow and ice and cold days and nights, a warm bed is a comfy place to be. I read two books in less than 36 hours enjoying hot tea, a comfy blanket and warm and stylish pjs! Those are days I truly cherish.

I have fallen a day behind so here it is Friday and I am sharing Thankful Thursday. But thankful I can be here with all of you. 

Please visit Pink Saturday and maybe you will see more pink too.


Pretty in pink soft sugar cookies  for Pink Saturday and My very late Tea Tyme which I Usually post on Tuesday.


Some pretty Royal Doulton Royal Albert tea cups are beautiful in pink with touches of gold. These would be gorgeous on my tea tyme table this Spring 2023.  A new cold front blew into town and we are going to get low and very extremely cold weather. So just making sure I stay happy, thankful and positive.

Having been selected for jury duty since I could not attend when our son-in-law Roger passed away last month. I was selected again to be there Monday. My heart is heavy so I was having a conversation with my brother Ed. He said go in there with a bright smile on your face and remember these words from my favorite poem, " Even this shall pass away." I am sharing this poem here today. I hope you like it. Say a prayer for me, I would like to be sent home Monday, I will be praying and see what happens.

Even This Shall Pass Away by Theodore Tilton

26 May 2010 | Paul Rea

Once in Persia reigned a king,
Who upon his signet ring
Graved a maxim true and wise,
Which, if held before his eyes,
Gave him counsel at a glance
Fit for every change and chance.
Solemn words, and these are they;
“Even this shall pass away.”

Trains of camels through the sand
Brought him gems from Samarcand;
Fleets of galleys through the seas
Brought him pearls to match with these;
But he counted not his gain
Treasures of the mine or main;
“What is wealth?” the king would say;
“Even this shall pass away.”

‘Mid the revels of his court,
At the zenith of his sport,
When the palms of all his guests
Burned with clapping at his jests,
He, amid his figs and wine,
Cried, “O loving friends of mine;
Pleasures come, but do not stay;
‘Even this shall pass away.’”

Lady, fairest ever seen,
Was the bride he crowned the queen.
Pillowed on his marriage bed,
Softly to his soul he said:
“Though no bridegroom ever pressed
Fairer bossom to his breast,
Mortal flesh must come to clay –
Even this shall pass away.”

Fighting on a furious field,
Once a javelin pierced his shield;
Soldiers, with a loud lament,
Bore him bleeding to his tent.
Groaning from his tortured side,
“Pain is hard to bear,” he cried;
“But with patience, day by day,
Even this shall pass away.”

Towering in the public square,
Twenty cubits in the air,
Rose his statue, carved in stone.
Then the king, disguised, unknown,
Stood before his sculptured name,
Musing meekly: “What is fame?
Fame is but a slow decay;
Even this shall pass away.”

Struck with palsy, sore and old,
Waiting at the Gates of Gold,
Said he with his dying breath,
“Life is done, but what is Death?”
Then, in answer to the king,
Fell a sunbeam on his ring,
Showing by a heavenly ray,
“Even this shall pass away.”

–Theodore Tilton

There is so much I want to blog about but I will end this post with the poem and prayers.

I was speaking to my three siblings because our cousin David passed away yesterday and his daughter Michelle shared the sad news at his page on social media . It is always sad when we lose those we love. Davey was a great guy and he worked for the phone company with another one of our cousins, Kenny for many years. He retired to Florida to be close to his children.  He was the oldest of 6 children and is also survived by his five sisters. Prayers for his phamily are greatly appreciated. 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and stay safe and warm or cool) wherever you may be. 




5 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so sorry about your losses, and the jury duty coming at the worst time! The cookies are too beautiful to eat, and the cups & saucers are divine. Again, too pretty to use!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

So very sorry for your losses, Anne. May God continue to comfort you all at this time.
I've said a prayer that you can avoid jury duty!
Blessings!

Mari said...

Sorry to hear of more losses for your family. Praying about this and for you to be released from the jury tomorrow!

Mevely317 said...

What sad tidings, Anne. Yes, I'm lifting prayers -- both for your family members and YOU. This is a great poem; thank you for sharing it.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your cousin. I know how sad it is, especially when we live far away and are unable to participate in any kind of service. But your prayers and love for the family will be greatly appreciated.
I love your pink teacups and the cookies...Looks like a great tea party combination to me! I think I need to think about having a tea party soon. We need some prettiness in our lives! Please take care in the cold weather...stay warm and cozy. Love the cat pictures. Sounds good to me. Blessings, oh and prayers for you regarding the jury duty. I pray they will send you home!!