Saturday, May 22, 2021

A HAPPY DAY AND SAD NEWS

 

My friend Sharon went in for heart surgery on wednesday May 19, 2021 and never woke up again. To say I am broken is an understatement. She was like a sister to me.  Although her sister Tori is my twin, we thought alike on many issues, Sharon was a terribly bad influence. She hooked me on doll collecting. If she were here she would say, Anne is lying, she hooked me. Then she would tell you how I twisted her arm (over the telephone) and made her buy this beautiful Naomi doll on the HSN Doll Show back in 1993. My heart hurts for her mom, Naomi. She is in her 80's and was caring for Sharon . My heart aches for Tori and Teddy and Gary, her siblings. They were so close and I will miss all the stories she shared with me through the years.


I met Sharon in 1987 when I went to work in the University Hospital Admissions office. I had been at the JFK Center for Child Development and made the switch. Sharon was an instant friend. We clicked and got into mischief many times during our years of friendship. She had this "whale" joke with my hubby Avery and they would play tricks on each other. She once bought him a miniature blue whale and sent it to his office. When he opened the package, he fell over laughing. His co worker thought he had lost his mind! It was their private joke. She use to say she was jealous of all my dolls and if I went before her could she have my dolls and my hubby? I would say, sure why not! We felt laughter and pain, joy and sadness all through those years. Sharon was bright, articulate, sassy and the first time I met her she told me she was a member of the Black Women's Political Action Group! I never knew anyone else like her. She was kind and she was fair and although many of our ideas were different, she never gave up on a friendship with a kooky girl with a husband and bunch of kids. In fact she and Nick shared August 20th as their birthday. Nick has a second birthday buddy, Richard in California. He is the hubby of good friend Sherry. But having been born on Sharon's birthday made her so happy. She loved life and people and if you needed ideas for a gift, Sharon was your gal. Doctors she worked with at a different hospital use to pay her to find the perfect gift for their wives. She never married but lavished love and attention on her nieces and nephews. I am going to miss those phone calls and tonight, I cried to my hubby, who is going to give me Easter Peeps? In 32 years she never missed sending me a package of Easter Peeps. She had a strong bond and although we have different opinions on political matters, we respected each other and always said we loved each other too much to give up a good friendship for politics!


Sharon would be so happy to know I spent a good part of this day catching up with our friends. Maria, who I had not spoken to for several years. We talked about our kids and grands and just caught up on our lives.  Sandy who reminded me to keep all those good memories in my heart. Lorna who somehow brings us all together and knows just what to say even though she has had a rough year herself. Chris who will call her dad and share the sad news and he will remind Chris how amazing Sharon was and she should keep her heart set on that! Jean in Texas these days, who made me smile through my tears because she said she never realized how many health issues Sharon had. Then she said I had not changed in 20 years, and I wanted to run to Texas and hug her, just because she is incredibly kind.  I am going to miss my sweet friend but the last words we shared with each other were, love you. I love you too.


5 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and her family. ((Hugs))

pilch92 said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. XO

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a devastating loss. I am so very sorry.

messymimi said...

My heart aches for everyone who knew and loved her.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am so sorry. It hurts badly to lose a close friend, but even more so when it is unexpected and no chance for goodbyes. My thoughts go to you and her family, and all who knew and loved her.